Tuesday 20 July 2010

What's in a name?

Blimey, what a mission naming this blog was!
The first 3 names I wanted were already taken. Predictable I suppose, but having looked at these blogs I can see that 2 are now unused, their last posts being over 3 years ago. A shame.
So, was I being too obvious in my naming? Blogger helpfully tried to suggest some alternatives that included my name, but this wasn't what I was after.
The next title I tried was available, excellent! But this made me stop and think...why had nobody else thought of this one, did it have another meaning that I was missing that would cause people to stay well clear when they saw it...? The name being available actually put me off choosing that one. It looked dull and boring.
I then chose to look for inspiration from the blogs that I read each day. Some are simple, just the author's name, others use a play on words...maybe I could try that? An unreasonable amount of time followed where I looked up quotes that I could play with, and used a rhyming dictionary for a snappy title.
Nothing.
So I got to thinking, does my blog title really matter? Would the title put people off reading what I have to say? And in the end I decided that no, as long as its not too daft, no-one is really going to care what my blog is called.
I hope you enjoy my posts here. I'm going to be writing mainly about the learning that takes place when I work with students when they come in to the CLC and when I go out to support learning in schools.
I'd love to know if you stopped by!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the blogging, I'll be interested to see what you get up to at your CLC, compared to ours!
    Catherine
    http://ssclc.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine, I had a class blog when I was a class teacher but haven't written about what I've been up to for a while. A shiny new blog space is lovely!

    ReplyDelete